Derby Burger Challenge
Jay Neubacher’s Derby Bourbon Burger features a 5-spice rub made with Bourbon smoked paprika, is topped with with grilled onion and mushrooms, bacon and Embasa Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce. It’s topped with melted provolone cheese on a brioche bun.
- 100% Angus Ground Beef Chuck
- Kroger Private Selection Golden Brioche Buns
- Hickory Smoked Bacon
- Smoked Provolone Cheese Slices
- Sliced baby bella mushrooms
- Sliced white onions
- Shredded lettuce
- Honey Mustard
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Bourbon Barrel Foods (Kentucky Proud): Bourbon Smoked Paprika
- Embasa Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- E.V. Olive Oil
1)Combine and mix:
2 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 tbsp. Bourbon smoked paprika
1 tbsp. chili power
1 tbsp. garlic powder
2)Combine in small blender:
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup of ketchup
1 tsp. honey mustard
1 whole chipotle pepper coated
with adobo sauce
(only one pepper, NOT the whole can)
1 tbsp. of spice mix from above
Blend all ingredients until smooth
3) Cook the bacon slices separately until crisp and then crush into bits.
4) In a skillet: add 2 tbsp. olive oil, add the mushrooms and saute over medium heat, add the onions after about 3 minutes, 1 pinch of spice from Step 1 and continue to saute together until soft.
5) Take the ground beef and form into 1 inch thick, 1/3 lb. patties and prepare your grill for medium-high heat.
6) Grill the patties with a pinch of spice from Step 1. After about 3 minutes flip the patties and grill for about 3 additional minutes then slightly mound the onions & mushrooms from Step 4, and give a generous sprinkle of the bacon from Step 3 and cover all with a slice of the Provolone cheese. Cook an addition minute or so until the cheese melts and the burger is 160 degrees internal.
7)Lightly toast the Brioche buns during the final minute of cooking the burgers.
8)Generously add the sauce from Step 2 to the top of the bun and a pinch of shredded lettuce to the sauce, combine the burger from Step 6 to the bottom half and combine the two halves.
Lori Poe serves her Asian Burger with a mixture of soy sauce and homemade Asian slaw. Bok choy leaves and cilantro mayo dress the sesame seed bun.
2 pounds ground chuck
1 pkg of dry stir-fry seasoning mix (.75 ounce)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup cilantro mayo (3/4 cup mayo with 3 tbs soy sauce and 3 tbs of chopped cilantro mixed together)
Boy Choy Leaves
1/2 cup chopped leek
1/2 cup chopped bok choy
1 bag of cole slaw mix
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 cup mayo
Mix all slaw ingredients together.
Mix ground beef and stir fry mix with soy sauce.
Patty out 1/3 pound patties.
Cook on stove in hot grill pan until well done.
Dress toasted sesame seed bun with cilantro mayo and bok choy leaf on one side with slaw on the other.
Gregory Schaad creates his Trifecta (3 cheese) Burger with a mix of Colby, yellow and white cheddar cheeses, and horseradish aioli on buttered onion buns.
1 pound 80 20 ground chuck
1 tablespoon steak sauce
1 tablespoon German mustard
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Yellow cheddar, white cheddar, and colby cheese slices
1 clove of garlic
4 tablespoons Duke’s Mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of onion
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Aioli- Grate 1 clove of garlic into bowl. Grate 1 tablespoon of onion into the garlic bowl. Add 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice, and 4 tablespoons of Duke’s Mayonnaise. Stir until well combined and chill for 20 minutes.
Burger- Combine steak sauce, German mustard, garlic salt and black pepper. Stir until well combined. Add ground beef and combine with hands until all is well distributed. Patty burgers with thumbprint in middle. Grill on high for 3-5 minutes per side. Butter onion buns and grill for 3 minutes. Add cheese 2 minutes before burgers are removed from grill. Plate and add lettuce and horseradish aioli.
From March 12 to April 13, all purchasers of fresh ground beef at any of the Kentuckiana Kroger stores (excluding Lexington locations) will receive a coupon at checkout (on the bottom of the receipt). The message includes an entry code to register online for a chance to win VIP tickets to a Waterfront Jam Concert at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville or BeerFest Presented by American Founders Bank.