Derby Burger Challenge
Do you think you have a winning burger recipe? Well here is your chance to compete for the title of the winning Kentucky Derby Festival Derby Burger for 2017!
From February 13th to March 5th, the public was able to submit Derby Burger Recipes. 8 preliminary finalists will be chosen from all submissions and then posted on the Festival’s Facebook page with instructions on how to vote for your favorite Derby Burger recipe.
Voting will begin on March 10th and conclude on March 16th. Those votes will help narrow it down to the final four Derby Burger contestants who will then move on to the cook-off. The finalists will then be required to provide four (4) samples of their burgers for live tasting by the judges on WDRB in the Morning. The winning burger will be selected by the judges.
Louisville area Kroger stores will feature the winning recipe. The winning burger can also be sampled at Beerfest on Wednesday, May 3.
The winner will receive:
-4 tickets to a concert at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville
-4 VIP tickets to Thunder Over Louisville
-2 tickets to BeerFest at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville
-$100 gift certificate to Kroger
-Featured inside Louisville Kroger stores, including the recipe ingredients and recipe card
-Featured samples inside Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville at the Kentucky Derby Festival BeerFest, May 3, 2017.
-A grilling prize pack from the Kentucky Beef Council
Total Recipe Time: 25 to 35 minutes
1 pound Ground Beef (80% lean)
3 tablespoons grated green bell pepper
3 tablespoons grated sweet onion
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
4 brioche buns, split, toasted
Toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices
1. Combine Ground Beef, bell pepper, onion, salt and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape 8 thin patties. Combine cheeses in small bowl, breaking up any large crumbles. Divide cheese mixture evenly into four portions; place each portion in center of one patty. Top each patty with another patty, sealing edges. Flatten patties to 1 inch thickness and 4 to 5 inch diameter.
2. Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 17 minutes until instant-ready thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally.
3. Place 1 burger on bottom half of each bun; top with lettuce and tomato, as desired. Close sandwiches.
Makes 4 servings.
Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Blueberry Bourbon Burger
Recipe By: Sarah Allgeier
1 pound Ground Beef (80% lean)
1/3 cup dried blueberries, chopped
1 tablespoons maple bourbon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 hamburger buns
4 slices cheese
8 slices bacon, cooked crisp
3/4 cup arugula leaves
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoons maple bourbon
1. Place blueberries in a small bowl, top with 1 tablespoon bourbon. Soak 20 minutes, or until blueberries have soaked up liquid. Drain blueberries.
2. Combine Ground Beef, blueberries, salt and pepper in large bowl. Lightly shape beef mixture into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise and 1/2 tablespoon bourbon in small bowl.
4. Place 1 burger on bottom half of each bun; top evenly with cheese, bacon and arugula. Spread mayonnaise mixture evenly on cut side of each bun top. Close sandwiches.
Makes 4 servings
Cooking instructions are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
1 pound Ground Beef
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1-1/2 teaspoons fresh or dried chopped chives
1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
Salt and pepper
4 whole wheat or regular hamburger buns, split and toasted
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 to 4 tablespoons wasabi paste
Lettuce leaves, tomato slices, white onion slices, caramelized or grilled pineapple slices
|1.||Combine Ground Beef, pineapple juice, green onions, tomato paste, chives, and mint in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape beef mixture into four 1/2-inch thick patties.|
|2.||Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add patties; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Season burgers with salt and pepper, as desired.|
|3.||Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise and wasabi, as desired, in small bowl.|
|4.||Line bottom of each bun with lettuce; top with tomato, onion, and pineapple slices, as desired. Top with burger; top burger with equal amounts of Wasabi-Mayonnaise Spread. Close sandwiches.|
Cook’s Tip: Cooking instructions are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Cook’s Tip: To caramelize pineapple slices, heat small amount of butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until melted. Place pineapple slices in skillet; cook until heated through and edges brings to brown, turning once.