For over 60 years, seeing the Derby Festival Princesses out in the community has been one of the most visible and anticipated signs that the fun of Derby Season is just around the corner. The prestigious Derby Festival Royal Court® program celebrates the state’s most civic-minded and academically achieving college students. It has become a platform for distinguished young women to be representatives for their community.
Since 1959, the Royal Court program has been overseen by members of The Fillies, Inc., a non-profit organization with 250 community volunteers. Each year, five young women are chosen as Derby Festival Princesses to represent The Fillies®, the Kentucky Derby Festival, the City of Louisville, and the Commonwealth of Kentucky as official ambassadors for the springtime tradition of the Festival. Then, one of the Derby Princesses® is crowned the Derby Queen® by a spin-of-the-wheel at the annual Fillies Derby Ball®.
Serving on the Derby Festival® Royal Court® is a once-in-a-lifetime experience with countless opportunities for leadership and professional development.
- Attend Derby Festival and related events as featured guests, including regional and nationally recognized opportunities like the Pegasus Parade, Thunder Over Louisville, KDF Day at the Downs, and more for personal and professional development experiences
- Opportunity to serve as an ambassador for the Kentucky Derby Festival, City of Louisville and Commonwealth of Kentucky
- $2,000 scholarship from The Fillies, Inc., and Kentucky Derby Festival Foundation to assist with educational expenses
- Media-relations building opportunities and a chance to create lifelong connections with business and community leaders
- An event & appearance wardrobe, procured by The Fillies, Inc. and Derby Festival, is provided by generous sponsors and supporters.
Are you interested in being a Partner or Vender?
We work with many different local vendors, sponsors and partners to make this program possible! Contact us below.