Thorntons Great Bed RacesClick Here to Register
Monday, April 27, 2015
Official Tailgate Party: 4:00 PM
Parade of the Beds: 6:00 PM
Races: 7:00 PM
Grab four of your co-workers, build a bed on wheels, decorate it, dress in a ridiculous costume—and then race. That pretty much sums up the Kentucky Derby Festival Bed Races. Each year, thousands of enthusiasts gather to cheer on more than 40 teams, while on-air personalities from WAVE TV anchor the live coverage from every angle, from the crowd to the pits.
Admission: FREE with 2015 Pegasus Pin®
Entry Fee: $130/team (includes 5 participant t-shirts and 5 collectible event pins)
Hosted by 107.7 The Eagle personalities, the awards ceremony recognizes the following winners:
- Fastest Course Times (two divisions; champions & fun)
- Best Decorated (make sure you adhere to the theme, “Ultimate Game Day”)
- Most Entertaining
- Cone Eater Award
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Come to Hard Rock Café Louisville at 4th Street Live.
Wear your pajamas and find out what the racing positions will be!
- Minimum bed size: 64” wide by 75” long (no part of the bed including push bars may exceed 90” width by 100” length)
- Minimum height: 10” from the ground to the support frame. (Steering may go lower the 10”)
- Wheels: Four load bearing, no more and no less, and designed so that all wheels contact the ground. Distance between wheels may not exceed 80” from outside to outside, front to rear.
- Steering: Provisions must be made to steer the bed. May include a mechanism to steer the front two wheels, or a combination of rotating caster wheels on the front and fixed on the rear etc…
- Mattress: Must be innerspring, minimum size 54” wide by 75” long by 7” thick (standard double size mattress)
- Push Bars: No jagged or sharp edges allowed, may not exceed maximum dimension of the bed (Pushers must be able to see the course in front of the bed when they are pushing.)
- Maximum height of the bed may not exceed 96” from the ground.
- Decorations for the best decorated division and parade may be removed for competition – this process cannot interfere with team start time.
- All participants are required to wear helmets during the race.
- All participants must be at least 18 years of age
- All participants must sign a waiver on the day of the event, prior to race time.
- Each team may race only once and must remain in its designated lane on the racecourse at all times. If contact is made – judges will determine fault.
- No alcoholic beverages will be allowed at the bed race site.
- All decisions by race officials are final.
- All beds/teams must be decorated for the parade. Decorations may be removed or left on for racing, unless racing officials determine the decorations are an obstacle to racing in which case they must be removed.
- All bed/team costs are borne by the entrants. This includes the entry fee, which is non-refundable.
- All participants must wear a Pegasus Pin or Bed Race event pin for entry into the dorm area.
- Mouth guard is suggested for bed rider.
|First Place:||Alpha Energy Solutions||33.41|
|Second Place:||Curtain Call Photo Booth||33.97|
|Third Place:||Texas Roadhouse||34.39|
|First Place:||Winner Takes All||34.16|
|Second Place:||Heartland Payment Systems||35.68|
|Third Place:||General Electric Bravo||36.93|
|Most Entertaining:||Rubbies Southside Grill and Bar|
|Best Decorated:||General Electric|
|Inside Lane||Outside Lane|
|1||Curtain Call Photo Booth (Champions) 33.97||1a||Winner Takes All (Champions) 35.53|
|2||Heartland Payment Systems 1 (Fun) 35.68||2a||West IP Communications (Champions) 34.33|
|3||L&N Federal Credit Union (Fun) 41.19||3a||Maeser Master Services (Fun) 38.85|
|4||Mattress & More (Fun) 37.56||4a||Whole Foods Market Louisville (Fun) 40.97|
|5||UAW /Assembly Plant Ford Louisville (Champions) 38.28||5a||General Electric Alpha (Champions) 40.95|
|6||Purdue University – New Albany (Fun) 39.15||6a||AAA East Central (Fun) 44.12|
|7||Clark Material Handling (Champions) 39.18||7a||Purofirst Disaster Services (Fun) 42.36|
|8||Rubbie’s Southside Grill & Bar (Champions) 37.32||8a||Brinly–Hardy Co. (Fun) 1:19.35|
|9||Louisville Metro Parks and Rec. (Fun) 50.79||9a||Women First of Louisville (Fun) 51.75|
|10||Horseshoe Southern Indiana (Fun) 52.54||10a||Home Depot (Fun) 45.31|
|11||Geek Squad City (Fun) 36.99||11a||Bed Bug Exterminators(Fun) 43.31|
|12||Furniture Dudes (Fun) 40.12||12a||Bigelow Tea (Fun) 41.74|
|13||Recover Care LLC (Fun) 38.89||13a||2 Fast and Furious(Fun) 53.04|
|14||Texas Roadhouse (Champions) 34.29||14a||Hampton Inn (Fun) 1:24.26|
|15||Apple Valley Gang – Zenar Corp. (Champions) 47.92||15a||Frisch’s Restaurants (Fun) 47.18|
|16||Heartland Payment Systems 2 (Champions) 37.01||16a||Winner Takes All 2 (Fun) 34.16|
|17||Air Hydro Power (Champions) 36.38||17a||General Electric Bravo (Fun) 36.93|
|18||PPG-Porter Paints (Fun) 39.86||18a||Backyard Bookie (Fun) 53.33|
|19||Chegg (Champions) 37.71||19a||Cabela’s (Fun) 45.80|
|20||20a||Wellstone (Champions) 42.67|
|21||Alpha Energy Solutions (Champions) 33.41||21a||Plumbers & Pipefitters Local 502 (Champions) 44.98|