DAY-LONG EVENT ON APRIL 15 AT NORTON HEALTHCARE SPORTS & LEARNING CENTER
April 8, 2023. Louisville, KY. – The Kentucky Derby Festival’s Block Party returns for the second straight year on Saturday, April 15 at the Norton Healthcare Sports & Learning Center. The free event debuted in 2022 with the support of Churchill Downs and Humana and the Derby Festival’s Derby Equity and Community Initiative (DECI). Another Louisville-based company, Park Community Credit Union, has joined forces in 2023 as a new Presenting Sponsor of the day-long event, held from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Block Party has become a new annual tradition on the Derby Festival’s line-up of more than 70 springtime events and shines the spotlight on talent and resources throughout Louisville, including minority-owned businesses in West Louisville. Guests can enjoy an all-day celebration featuring cuisine from local food trucks, live entertainment, a shopping marketplace, wellness activations, a vendor fair, programming and more.
In addition to partnerships with Churchill Downs, Humana and Park Community Credit Union, several community members and groups continue to play a role in the production of the Block Party event.
Block Party 2023 highlights include:
- Attendees can enjoy double the food options this year with a variety of cuisine from more than 20 local food trucks and vendors.
- A Community Village featuring nearly 20 minority-owned local non-profit groups, all with missions to help meet the needs of residents of the West Louisville community.
- Live entertainment will take place throughout the day on the music stage sponsored by Ford Motor Company. The line-up includes musical performances by groups and solo artists, as well as visual artists, DJs, dancers, poets, theater acts, spoken word, comedy and more.
- MELANnaire Marketplace will feature more than 60 vendors and merchants highlighting Black entrepreneurs. This local shopping marketplace is a one-stop shop for spring fashions, Derby attire, hats, accessories, gourmet food and more.
- The Norton Healthcare Health and Wellness Center will be onsite offering complimentary health screenings to guests.
- Children’s activities include inflatables and face painting.
Admission to Block Party is FREE. (No outside food or drinks can be brought into the venue). Parking at the venue will also be FREE thanks to the partnership with Park Community Credit Union.
The DECI, which launched in spring 2021 and is a multi-year initiative, is a combined effort to incorporate equitable programming into the Derby season and the celebrations that surround it. One of the main pillars of DECI is to CREATE new and culturally celebratory experiences, like Block Party, for the community.
Churchill Downs, Humana and Park Community Credit Union are Presenting Sponsors of the event, joining Contributing Sponsors: Brown-Forman, Goodwill Industries of Kentucky, Kentucky Education and Labor Cabinet and ZEON. Stage Sponsor: Ford Motor Company. Supporting Sponsors: BRAINFREEZE: Cones For A Cause, Erica Denise Entertainment, Louisville Parks & Recreation, MELANnaire Marketplace, The Hope Buss and The Hope Village. Media Sponsor: REAL 93.1.