April 20, 2023. Louisville, KY. – Thunder Over Louisville features more than just one of the nation’s largest fireworks displays and top air shows. Thunder on the Ground activities will offer numerous ways to entertain friends and family members alike! From the Thunder FoodFest and AKIMA Military Zone to the Meijer Family Fun Zone, there are refreshments and entertainment galore to be found all over the venue. Some attractions require a 2023 Pegasus Pin for admission, but other activities are completely free. Most are open from 9 a.m. until the fireworks show at 9:30 p.m.
Highlights of Thunder on the Ground activities include:
- Thunder on the North Great Lawn – 2023 Pegasus Pin admission. Opens at 9 a.m., featuring food, Beer Garden and Thunder Sound. Make sure to visit the full-service bar. (The rest of Waterfront Park will also open at 9 a.m. on Thunder Day). (NO TENTS, STAKES, TAPE OR PETS).
- Meijer Family Fun Zone at the Big Four Bridge – 2023 Pegasus Pin admission. Opens at 11 a.m., featuring kids’ activities, including inflatables, face painting, Big Red Chair, Great Big Idaho Potato Truck, Rumpke Waste & Recycling Touch-a-Truck, Jet’s Pizza, photo opportunities, giveaways, a top view of the show, Silent Disco (2 – 8 PM), Beer Garden and Thunder Sound. (NO TENTS, STAKES, TAPE OR PETS).
- Thunder Waterfront Chow Wagon – 2023 Pegasus Pin admission. Opens at 11 a.m., featuring food, beer garden, live music, and Thunder Sound. (NO TENTS, STAKES, TAPE OR PETS).
- Katie Mac Trio and Soul Circus will perform on the Chow Wagon Music Stage inside the Thunder Waterfront Chow Wagon. Performance times: Katie Mac Trio 2:30-5:30 PM, Soul Circus 6-9 PM.
- UPS Flight Deck at the Overlook on the North Great Lawn – Open at 9 a.m. This viewing area is a great spot in the middle of the action. It also includes a special photo display showcasing UPS through the decades, the opportunity to learn about UPS career and educational opportunities, and a chance to spin for prizes.
- AKIMA Military Zone Interactive Display Area on the South Great Lawn opens at 9 a.m. Attractions include: U.S. Army Golden Knights Landing Zone, Kentucky Air National Guard Obstacle Course, U.S. Air Forcey Simulation Trailer, U.S. Army Blackhawk Helicopter, U.S. Coast Guard Boat and U.S. Marines Pull-up Challenge.
- Interactive Displays on the South Great Lawn: 502 Hemp, AT&T, Colts in Motion, Flying Axes, Harbor House of Louisville and T-Mobile.
- Kids’ Activities & Rides on the South Great Lawn: Ali Baba, Chopper, Cliff Hanger, Hampton, Hurricane, Lil’ Wheel, Merry Go Round, Music Express, Ships Ahoy, Slide and Zumur.
- The Thunder FoodFest will offer a wide variety of tasty treats from more than 100 food vendors from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. at the Chow Wagon, Great Lawn, West Belvedere, and along Witherspoon Street and East River Road.
- Beer Gardens, with 2023 Pegasus Pin admission, will be open at the Waterfront Chow Wagon, Belvedere, North Great Lawn, and Meijer Family Fun Zone at the Big Four Lawn.
- Pegasus Pin fans can add to their collections by visiting the following locations on Thunder Day:
Gate A: Thunder Chow Wagon; Gate B: Great Lawn; Gate C: Preston and River Road (under the I-64 viaduct). Street sales are available at the following locations: 2nd & Main streets, Brook & Witherspoon, Preston & Witherspoon and Big Four Lawn.
- Official Thunder & Derby Festival Merchandise will be available at the Waterfront Chow Wagon, South Great Lawn, East Great Lawn, 2nd Street and River Road, 3rd Street and River Road, 4th Street and River Road, and Witherspoon and Bingham.
- Merchant Row, along Witherspoon at the Great Lawn, will feature vendors selling a wide variety of merchandise, including sunglasses, hand-drawn caricatures and more!
Thunder Over Louisville is one of the more than 70 events produced by the Kentucky Derby Festival in the spring. It provides an estimated impact of $56 million to the area’s economy. The 2023 Thunder Over Louisville – themed “Through the Decades” – is set for Saturday, April 22. It will be the 34th production.
2023 Thunder Over Louisville Show Sponsors: Caesars Southern Indiana, Humana, LG&E, Meijer, and UPS. In addition to the Presenting Sponsors, AKIMA is the Military Zone Sponsor, UofL Health is the Official Health Care Provider and the Official Hotel is the Galt House Hotel. TEN20 Craft Brewery is the Official Craft Beer and High Noon is the Official Seltzer of Thunder Over Louisville. Thunder Over Louisville’s 2023 Official Broadcast Partners are WAVE and MIX 106.9.