March 19, 2019. Louisville, KY. Kentuckiana students from grades K-12 were honored tonight at J Graham Brown School for their artistic achievement in the Kentucky Derby Festival Foundation Student Art Contest Presented by The Fillies, Inc. A panel of local artists selected the winners. Of the hundreds of entries, some of the most popular themes among the winning artwork this year were the Great Steamboat Race, BB&T Great BalloonFest, the Republic Bank Pegasus Parade, and Thunder Over Louisville.
Five students from Farmer Elementary, under the direction of Brandy Durm, and five students from Norton Commons Elementary, under the direction of Sarah Maxwell Miller, had winning and/or honorable mention entries. In addition, there were four winning and/or honorable mention entries among the Catholic school system.
The first-place winners in all divisions receive a 2019 framed Festival Poster by 2019 Official Poster Artist, Chimel Ford. First-place winners also win a chance to appear in the 2019 Republic Bank Pegasus Parade. All winners receive a medallion, certificate, T-shirt, and a Student Art Contest winner’s pin. Teachers of the winning students were also invited to the ceremony and received special recognition.
The Festival has offered this opportunity for area students to showcase their creative skills since 1977. The Foundation’s Student Art Contest is sponsored by Fillies, Inc. The Fillies, Inc. was founded in 1959 kicking off a tradition of volunteer service to the local community. They join Kosair Charities, Official Charity Partner of the event, and Media Sponsor ARTxFM.
Division A: Kindergarten & 1st Grade
- 1st Place: Ari Padilla – Norton Commons Elementary Teacher: Sarah Maxwell Miller
- 2nd Place: Katherine Meirose – St. Agnes Teacher: Laura Dant
- 3rd Place: Lincoln Manning – Farmer Elementary Teacher: Brandy Durm
- Honorable Mention: Ayden Hibbs – Southside Elementary Teacher: M. Michelle Thomas
Divison B: 2nd & 3rd Grades
- 1st Place: Triston Henderson – Norton Commons Elementary Teacher: Sarah Maxwell Miller
- 2nd Place: Rebecca Hobby – Norton Commons Elementary Teacher: Sarah Maxwell Miller
- 3rd Place: Nicole Schwinghamer – Farmer Elementary Teacher: Brandy Durm
- Honorable Mention: Charlotte Uwamahoro – Farmer Elementary Teacher: Brandy Durm
Division C: 4th & 5th Grades
- 1st Place: Kennedy Cohan – Norton Commons Elementary Teacher: Sarah Maxwell Miller
- 2nd Place: Hailey Bolger – Farmer Elementary Teacher: Brandy Durm
- 3rd Place: McKenzie Raatz – Farmer Elementary Teacher: Brandy Durm
- Honorable Mention: Makajsha Durrett – Southside Elementary Teacher: M. Michelle Thomas
- Honorable Mention: Serin Yeo – Norton Commons Elementary Teacher: Sarah Maxwell Miller
Division D: 6th – 8th Grades
- 1st Place: Janee Amig – Meyzeek Middle School Teacher: Patricia Watson
- 2nd Place: Amelia Walz – Holy Trinity Parish School Teacher: Carey Given
- 3rd Place: Hailey Turiczek – St. James Catholic Elizabethtown Teacher: Mrs. Zoeller
- Honorable Mention: Om Patel – Breckinridge County Middle School Teacher: Meredith Yount
- Honorable Mention: Max Sherman – St. Michael School Teacher: Tiffany Whelan
Division E: 9th – 12th Grades
- 1st Place: Jasmine Lewis – PRP High School Teacher: Denise Webb
- 2nd Place: Mallery Marshall – PRP High School Teacher: Denise Webb
- 3rd Place: Molly Phelps – Bullitt East High School Teacher: Jason Kelty & Cathy Russell
- Honorable Mention: Thuy Hguyen – Iroquois High School Teacher: Julie Clinkingbeard