April 18, 2017. Louisville, KY. You can do a lot more at Thunder Over Louisville this year than simply look to the sky. Sponsored by Ford Motor Company, Ford’s Thunder on the Ground activities will offer numerous ways to entertain friends and family members as well. From the Thunder FoodFest to the Interactive Display Area to the Kid’s Play Areas on the Great Lawn, there’s refreshments and entertainment galore to be found all over the venue. Some attractions require a 2017 Pegasus Pin admission, but some activities are completely free. Most are open from 11:00 a.m. until the fireworks show at 9:30 p.m.
Some of the Ford Thunder on the Ground activities include:
- Thunder on the North Great Lawn – 2017 Pegasus Pin admission. Opens at 9 a.m., featuring food, Beer Garden and Thunder Sound. Make sure to visit Old 502 Wine & Spirits Bar. (The rest of Waterfront Park will also open at 9 a.m. on Thunder Day) (NO TENTS, STAKES, TAPE OR PETS.)
- Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere – 2017 Pegasus Pin admission. Opens at 11 a.m., featuring kids activities including bounce houses, face painting and photo opportunities with the Big Red Chair, food, Beer Garden and Thunder Sound. (NO TENTS, STAKES, TAPE OR PETS.)
- Thunder Chow Wagon – 2017 Pegasus Pin admission. Opens at 11 a.m., featuring food, Falls City Beer, the Blue Chair Bay Rum Shack, Barefoot Bubbly Sampling, Drake’s by the River and Thunder Sound. (NO TENTS, STAKES, TAPE OR PETS.)
- Olivia Henken will perform on the Miller Lite Music Stage at 2 p.m. inside the Thunder Chow Wagon.
- Military Interactive Display Area on the South Great Lawn opens at 11 a.m. Attractions include: U.S. Army exhibit featuring the Army Adventure Trailer, Dog Tag Machine, Physical Fitness Challenge and a Blackhawk Helicopter; U.S. Navy experience including fitness challenges, photo booth and much more; U.S. Air Force Recruiting Service; Kentucky National Guard’s static display of 2 military vehicles, recruiting trailer, obstacle course with tire flip and water jug challenge, and push and pull up challenge; U.S. Marine Corps and much more!
- Kid’s Activities & Play Areas on the South Great Lawn: Attractions include: X-perience – on behalf of Ford Motor Company, Active Heroes, Ali Baba, Alien Abduction, Boost Mobile, Drop & Twist, Great Big Idaho Potato, Hampton, Hurricane, Lil Wheel, MGR, Ninja Jump, Ships Ahoy, Sizzler, Sprint, Typhoon, Zumur and more!
- The Thunder FoodFest will offer a wide variety of tasty treats from more than 100 food vendors from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. at the Chow Wagon, Great Lawn, West Belvedere, and along Witherspoon Street and East River Road.
- Beer Gardens, with Pegasus Pin admission, will be open at the Chow Wagon, Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere, North Great Lawn and Big Four Bridge Lawn.
- Pegasus Pin trading fans can add to their collections by visiting the following locations on Thunder Day from noon to 7 p.m.: Pin Wagon at 4th & River Road (SW Corner), Brook/ Bingham Way & Witherspoon Plaza (near Chow Wagon), Preston & Witherspoon (NE Corner), River Road near Walking Bridge (North side) and Second & Main (foot of 2nd St. Bridge).
- Official Derby Festival Merchandise, including ThunderWear, will be available at the Waterfront Chow Wagon, South Great Lawn, East Great Lawn, 2nd Street and River Road, 3rd Street and River Road, 4th Street and River Road, Preston and Witherspoon, Bingham and Witherspoon, River Road and Bingham Way and in Southern Indiana.
- Merchant Row along Witherspoon at the Great Lawn will feature vendors selling a wide variety of things including sunglasses, hand-drawn caricatures and more!
Presenting sponsors of the 2017 Thunder Over Louisville are Horseshoe Southern Indiana, LG&E, Meijer, UPS, and Valero.