April 19, 2022. Louisville, KY. – Thunder Over Louisville features more than just one of the nation’s largest fireworks displays and top air shows. Sponsored by Ford Motor Company, Ford’s Thunder on the Ground activities will offer numerous ways to entertain friends and family members alike! From the Thunder FoodFest to the Children’s Play Areas on the Great Lawn, there’s refreshments and entertainment galore to be found all over the venue. Some attractions require a 2022 Pegasus Pin for admission, but other activities are completely free. Most are open from 11 a.m. until the fireworks show at 9:30 p.m.
Highlights of the Ford Thunder on the Ground activities include:
- Thunder on the North Great Lawn – 2022 Pegasus Pin admission. Opens at 9 a.m., featuring food, Beer Garden and Thunder Sound. Make sure to visit the full-service bar. (The rest of Waterfront Park will also open at 9 a.m. on Thunder Day). (NO TENTS, STAKES, TAPE OR PETS).
- Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere – 2022 Pegasus Pin admission. Opens at 11 a.m., featuring kids’ activities, including inflatables, face painting, a golf putting exhibit, craft tent, photo opportunities, giveaways, sampling of snacks, food, a top view of the show, Beer Garden and Thunder Sound. (NO TENTS, STAKES, TAPE OR PETS).
- Big Four Bridge Lawn – 2022 Pegasus Pin admission. Opens at 11 a.m.
- Thunder Chow Wagon – 2022 Pegasus Pin admission. Opens at 11 a.m., featuring great food, including Please & Thank You and West Sixth. Also, Thunder Sound. (NO TENTS, STAKES, TAPE OR PETS).
- Soul Circus and Katie Mac Trio will perform on the Chow Wagon Music Stage at 2 p.m. inside the Thunder Chow Wagon. Performances will continue throughout the day.
- UPS Flight Deck – This viewing area is a great spot to be in middle of the action and get a photo with the UPS team.
- Military Interactive Display Area on the South Great Lawn opens at 11 a.m. Attractions include: Kentucky National Guard & Interactive Recruiting Trailers, U.S. Army exhibit with the Army Asset Trailer, Physical Fitness Challenge and a Blackhawk Helicopter. Plus, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marines and U.S Air Force attractions.
- Kids’ Activities & Interactive Displays on the South Great Lawn: Attractions include: X-perience – on behalf of Ford Motor Company, AT&T, Carvana, Colts in Motion, Idaho Potato Truck, Kentucky Association of Health Plans, Kentucky National Guard, T-Mobile, U.S. Army, U.S. Marines, U.S. Navy, Wendy’s games, rides and more!
- The Thunder FoodFest will offer a wide variety of tasty treats from more than 100 food vendors from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. at the Chow Wagon, Great Lawn, West Belvedere, and along Witherspoon Street and East River Road.
- Beer Gardens, with 2022 Pegasus Pin admission, will be open at the Chow Wagon, Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere, North Great Lawn and Big Four Bridge Lawn.
- Pegasus Pin fans can add to their collections by visiting the following locations on Thunder Day: Gate A: Thunder Chow Wagon; Gate B: Great Lawn; Gate C: Preston and River Road (under the I-64 viaduct); The Belvedere (5th and Main streets) Gates are open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Street sales are available at the following locations: 2nd & Main streets, Pin Wagon at 4th & River Road, Brook & Witherspoon and Preston & Witherspoon. Street sales are available from noon to 8 p.m.
- Official Derby Festival Merchandise, including ThunderWear, will be available at the Waterfront Chow Wagon, South Great Lawn, East Great Lawn, 2nd Street and River Road, 3rd Street and River Road and 4th Street and River Road.
- Merchant Row, along Witherspoon at the Great Lawn, will feature vendors selling a wide variety of merchandise, including sunglasses, hand-drawn caricatures and more!
2022 Thunder Over Louisville Show Sponsors: Caesars Southern Indiana, Humana, LG&E, Meijer, and UPS. Thunder on the Ground Sponsor: Ford Motor Company. Official Sound Sponsor: Shepherd Insurance. Official Hotel: The Galt House Hotel. Command Center Sponsor: Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport. Official Boat and RV Sponsor: My Financing USA.