April 30, 2022. Louisville, KY. – The event that started the Kentucky Derby Festival – the 67th annual Zoeller Pump Company Pegasus Parade – steps off on a new day TOMORROW, May 1, at 3 p.m. The parade will march West on Broadway from Campbell to 9th Street. As one of the festival’s most cherished and popular events, the parade traditionally attracts thousands of spectators to downtown streets. The theme of this year’s parade is “Loving Louisville,” to celebrate all there is to love about the city. For the first time ever, the Louisville community is also being honored as Grand Marshals of this year’s parade.
“The parade has been bringing the community together for more than 65 years and we can’t wait to be reunited again on Broadway,” said Matt Gibson, KDF President & CEO. “We hope moving the event to Sunday afternoon means even more fans will be able to join us as we kick off Derby week.”
VIPs scheduled to appear in the Pegasus Parade include Bellarmine Knights Men’s Basketball Team, Ethan the Dog, Kentucky’s Virginia Moore, University of Louisville Teams, Sacred Heart Academy Girls Basketball Team and more.
Floats from 6 sponsoring organizations will be featured: City of Jeffersontown, City of St. Matthews, Hwang’s Martial Arts, Norton Healthcare, Second Chance at Life, and The Fillies’, Inc.
The parade will also feature: 7 equestrian units, 8 marching bands, and 32 specialty units.
5 Inflatable characters scheduled to participate include: Caesars Southern Indiana (Caesar), Zoeller Pump Company (Pegasus & Goldie), Waystar (Captain Planet), and Wendy’s (Heart).
Tickets for the Zoeller Pump Company Pegasus Parade are still available. They can be purchased online at KDF.org up until the parade starts at 3 p.m. Ticket prices are $10 for bleacher seats. Will call for tickets will be at the Derby Festival tent located at the corner of 1st and Broadway, under the overhang at the JCTC Office.
Parade Timing (good spots for visuals and feature stories on Sunday, May 1):
- 9 AM: Floats begin moving to the Float Assembly along Swan Street and Lampton Street.
- 11 AM: Horses start arriving in Equestrian Assembly (Behind East Government Center on Vine)
- 12 PM: Marching bands begin arriving by bus at Band Assembly (top of Broadway, above Baxter Avenue)
- 1 PM: Specialty units begin assembly on Broadway at the corner of Barret Avenue.
- 1:30 PM: Character balloons start inflation at Inflatable Assembly. (Goodwill Lot and Gray Street)
- 1:30PM: VIPs, Queen & Court, etc. begin arriving at VIP Assembly at Louisville Stoneware
- 3 PM: Step-off at Broadway & Campbell (watch the parade funnel together as all the components enter the route from their separate staging areas)
Zoeller Pump Company returns as Title Sponsor of the event since 2020, joining Contributing Sponsor Kentucky Venues, The Galt House as the Official Hotel and Media Partner, WAVE.