U.S. BANK NEW SPONSOR OF ESSENTIAL PROGRAM
October 24, 2023. Louisville, KY. – Every Spring the Kentucky Derby Festival utilizes thousands of volunteers to help produce its more than 70 events. Nearly 4,000 volunteers are needed annually to help with everything from selling Pegasus Pins to supporting runners after they cross the Finish Line at the GE Appliances miniMarathon and Marathon. Festival organizers are getting a head start this year to recruit all of the volunteers required for next year’s Festival.
“We couldn’t put on the Kentucky Derby Festival without our volunteers,” said Matt Gibson, Kentucky Derby Festival President & CEO. “We’ve had some challenges recruiting volunteers since the pandemic, so we’re getting the word out earlier this year. It’s a great opportunity to work behind-the-scenes at your favorite Festival events and create unforgettable memories for your community during our favorite time of year.”
Volunteers are needed at several of the Festival’s signature events, including:
- GE Appliances miniMarathon and Marathon on Saturday, April 27, 2024 (assist with set up and/or tear down, hand out water to runners at water stops or be part of the support team at the Finish Line)
- Zoeller Pump Company Pegasus Parade on Sunday, April 28 (be a shuttle host or serve as an ambassador with one of the Parade floats or Equestrian units)
- Sell Pegasus Pins at a variety of our events, including Thunder Over Louisville and Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville on the Waterfront (if a group of 10 or more sell Pins you can also earn money for your organization)
U.S. Bank is the new presenting sponsor of the Festival’s volunteer program. They’ve partnered with the Festival on other events over the years. Their sponsorship will help provide special perks for the volunteers, including:
- Official Volunteer shirt
- 20 percent discount on all Derby Festival merchandise (excluding Pegasus Pins)
- Special swag pack
- Tickets to other city events
Sign up to volunteer and get more information about volunteer opportunities online at KDF.org/Volunteer.