September 15, 2017 Louisville, KY. – Kentucky Derby Festival has a lot of reasons to celebrate today! Louisville’s annual civic celebration received 37 top honors at the International Festivals & Events Association’s (IFEA) Convention and Expo in Tucson, Arizona. The Derby Festival won the Bronze Grand Pinnacle in the “Best Overall Festival Program” category, tying with Destination NSW (The Rocks, NSW Australia). The “Patronato de la Feria Estatal de León y Parque Ecólogico” (León, Gto. Mexico) was runner-up with silver and the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society (Philadelphia, PA) won gold. The Grand Pinnacle is the IFEA’s highest award. The Festival competes each year against other major festivals and events from around the world.
The Festival also received 36 Pinnacle Awards – 17 Gold, 9 Silver, and 11 Bronze in various categories for events, media relations, advertising campaign, sponsorship and merchandise. The IFEA is the premiere association that supports festival and event professionals worldwide. The Pinnacle Awards competition recognizes the best special events, festival materials, promotions and ideas in the festivals and events industry.
“It’s both humbling and rewarding for all your hard work to be recognized by other special events professionals,” said Mike Berry, Kentucky Derby Festival President and CEO. “The Pinnacle Awards are a reflection of tremendous support provided by our board, sponsors, volunteers and the community as a whole.”
More than 2,000 member festivals compete for the annual IFEA awards. The Kentucky Derby Festival competes with among the ranks of the Indy 500 Festival, Seattle Sea Fair, Destination NSW (The Rocks, NSW Australia), Celebrations, Ottawa, Inc. (Ottawa, ON Canada), Memphis in May International Festival, National Cherry Blossom Festival, Gimje Horizon Festival (Gimje-si, Jeollabuk-do South Korea), Portland Rose Festival, Pasadena Tournament of Roses, Fiesta San Antonio, Philadelphia Flower Show and Pacific National Exhibition (Vancouver, BC Canada).
The Festival won GOLD awards for:
• BEST SINGLE DIGITAL/SOCIAL AD. Thunder Over Louisville Mobile Ad. Designed by Vimarc.
• BEST EVENT PROGRAM. Kentucky Proud WineFest Program. Designed by Vimarc.
• BEST COVER DESIGN. Student Art Program. Designed by Vimarc.
• BEST AD SERIES. “Your Search Is Over” Ad Series. Designed by Vimarc.
• BEST EVENT INVITATION. 2017 Fillies Derby Ball Invitation. Produced by The Fillies, Inc.
• BEST OTHER MERCHANDISE. Mason Jar Set. Produced by 12/13 Apparel by Synergism.
• BEST MISC. CLOTHING. Tour de Lou Cycling Jersey. Designed by Vimarc. Produced by 12/13 Apparel by Synergism.
• BEST NEW MERCHANDISE. 2017 Derby Festival Coaster Set. Produced by 12/13 Apparel by Synergism.
• BEST TARGETED SPONSOR SOLICITATION PROPOSAL. Republic Bank. Title Sponsor of Pegasus Parade and Parade Preview Party.
• BEST SPONSOR PARTNER. Norton Healthcare.
• BEST SPONSORSHIP PROGRAM FOR INDIVIDUAL SPONSOR. King Southern Bank BourbonVille Sponsorship.
• BEST CHILDREN’S PROGRAMMING. YMCA Healthy Kids Day. Coordinated by YMCA of Greater Louisville.
• BEST NEW PROMOTION ACTIVITY. Evan Williams Commemorative Gold Pegasus Pin Bottle. Produced by Evan Williams.
• BEST VENDOR/SUPPLIER. Professional Fence Company.
• BEST PRESS/MEDIA KIT. 2017 KDF Media Guide and Press Credential. Produced by Derby City Litho
• MOST CREATIVE/EFFECTIVE NEWS STUNT. 2017 Poster Unveiling.
• BEST MEDIA RELATIONS CAMPAIGN.
• BEST RADIO PROMOTION. BeerFest Radio Spot. Produced by Vimarc.
• BEST SINGLE MAGAZINE DISPLAY AD. Bourbon, Wine and Beer Ad. Designed by Vimarc.
• BEST SPONSOR GIFT. Framed Record for Thunder Over Louisville Sponsors.
• BEST INDIVIDUAL SPONSOR FOLLOW-UP REPORT. Active Heroes Follow-up Book.
• BEST SINGLE NEW SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITY. Indiana University Southeast.
• BEST PARADE. Republic Bank Pegasus Parade.
• BEST FOOD & BEVERAGE PROGRAM. Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville and the Chow Wagon. Concessions by Cox.
• BEST MONEY-MAKING IDEA. Custom Bars at Kroger’s Fest-a-Ville. Designed by The Event Company.
• BEST OVERALL MERCHANDISING PROGRAM. 2017 Merchandise Mega Book.
• BEST OVERALL FESTIVAL. Bronze Grand Pinnacle.
• BEST EVENT/ORGANIZATION E-NEWSLETTER. “Festival Times.” Designed by Vimarc.
• BEST FESTIVAL/EVENT MOBILE APPLICATION. 2017 KDF App. Designed by Vimarc. Produced by AVAI Mobile.
• BEST DIGITAL/SOCIAL AD SERIES. Derby Festival Facebook Canvas Ad. Designed by Vimarc.
• BEST COMPANY IMAGE PIECES. 2017 BeerFest Coaster. Designed by Vimarc.
• BEST COMMEMORATIVE POSTER (FOR SALE). 2017 Official KDF Poster. Designed by Poster Artist Ron Jasin. Printed by Impressions Incorporated. Distributed by 12/13 Apparel by Synergism.
• BEST HAT. 2017 Thunder Over Louisville Hat. Produced by 12/13 Apparel by Synergism.
• BEST OVERALL SPONSORSHIP PROGRAM. Pegasus Pin Sponsorship Program.
• BEST EVENT/PROGRAM WITHIN AN EVENT TO BENEFIT A CAUSE. VOICES of Kentuckiana High Heel Race. Produced by VOICES of Kentuckiana.
• BEST EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS & RISK MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR AN EVENT. miniMarathon/Marathon Emergency Action Plan.
• BEST SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN. 2017 Thunder Over Louisville Social Media Campaign. Designed by Vimarc.