PNC Tour de LouREGISTER TO RIDE
The PNC Tour de Lou will take place on a Sunday this year!
MORE DETAILS COMING SOON ABOUT THE 2023 PNC TOUR DE LOU!
2022 PNC Tour de Lou
The Kentucky Derby Festival is once again partnering with the Louisville Bicycle Club to produce the PNC Tour de Lou on Saturday, April 16, 2022.
Participants will have the opportunity to bike in-person and socially-distanced, as well as the option to participate virtually. As always, the Festival’s annual bike event is for riders of all levels of experience, with separate distances and ride options:
- 62.1 Mile Metric Century / Advanced Ride (Open course)
- 35 Mile Experienced Ride / Intermediate Ride (Open course)
- 20 Mile Ride / New to cycling (Open course)
- Family Ride 1-3 mile options / Children and Families (for ages 4-12 years old)
- Virtual Ride 20, 35, and Metric Century Options (Find more info here!)
While the 2022 In-Person rides will look a little different, the ride will still tour all areas of the city, from Downtown to the South End and Highlands.
Here’s what you can expect this year…
- As in all Festival events, health & safety is our top priority, and we’ll continue to provide a secure biking experience.
- NEW RE-ROUTE THROUGH CHURCHILL DOWNS:
- Look for new highlights, like riding through Churchill Downs for 20 Mile, 35 Mile, and Metric Century routes.
- Specific Course & route details to come in 2022.
- INTRODUCING THE NEW FAMILY RIDE!
- This looped course at Waterfront Park will feature various distance options (1-3 miles) to be marked along the secured course.
- Participants ages 4-12 years old, and their families are encouraged to come out to ride.
- This course will include additional volunteer & safety support, as well as traditional support from Louisville Bike Club Ride Captains.
- Snacks and water will be provided along with some fun surprises and entertainment along the route.
- METRIC CENTURY ROUTE TOURS TWO STATES:
- The new course route will take Metric Century riders not only through Louisville’s parks and neighborhoods, and Churchill Downs, but also across the Big Four Bridge and into scenic Indiana.
- Specific Course & route details to come in 2022!
What is Tour de Lou?
The PNC Kentucky Derby Festival Tour de Lou is a bicycle tour throughout our city! It’s a non-competitive, un-timed, 20, 35 or 62.1 (Metric Century) mile ride, for riders of all experience levels. We’ll be offering both In-Person and Virtual Ride registrations.
We’ve got something new for your tour this year!
- Participants in the 20 mile, 35 mile & Metric Century will ride through the historic Churchill Downs racetrack. More course details to come!
- This will still be a looped course, touring Louisville’s historic parks and neighborhoods.
- The Metric Century will now be a tour of two states, as the new 62.1 mile course will not only take you through Louisville’s parks and neighborhoods, but also across the Big Four Bridge and into scenic Indiana. (Specific Course & route details to come in January 2022.)
- We’re introducing a new Tour de Lou Family Ride, which will include 3 looped distance options (1-3 miles) for our youngest cyclists. The Family Ride is recommended for children ages 4-12 and their families.
What is the new Family Ride?
It’s a brand new Tour de Lou ride for the whole family! With a 1-3 mile looped course at Waterfront Park, you will have the option to choose the distance that best suits you or your children. (All routes will be marked for you to choose the distance you want to ride, or even extend it, if you’re feeling up to it!)
- These routes will tour through Waterfront Park to create a more closed course than the traditional Tour de Lou distances.
- This ride is recommended for children ages 4-12 and their families.
- All child riders will be required to have adult supervision on site
- All children under the age of 10 must also have an adult ride with them on the course
- All registered riders will receive:
- An Official PNC Tour de Lou Ride T-Shirt for each registered child rider
- Matching Official PNC Tour de Lou Ride T-shirt for chaperone rider
- SWAG bag for each registered child Rider
- Bike Tag Numbers for each Child & Chaperone Riders
What time does the Tour de Lou start?
This year’s in-person routes will have staggered start times:
- 62.1 Mile (Metric Century): 8 AM
- 35 Mile: 8:15 AM
- 20 Mile: 8:30 AM
- Family Ride: 9:30 AM
Will the 2022 Tour de Lou differ from previous years?
Yes! Here are just a few of the things you can look forward to in 2022:
- A new route highlight for our 20 mile, 35 mile, and Metric Century riders will include a lap through Churchill Downs!
- A brand new Family Ride in Waterfront Park! For children ages 4-12 and their families, there will be a special 1-3 mile route option, with fun surprises and snacks available.
- The Metric Century route will include two states this year, as we take advanced in-person riders across the river. More course details will be shared in 2022.
- We will be bringing back the post-ride celebration in a new way! Look for more details in the new year.
- Based on your feedback, we’re bringing back the drive-through style Packet Pick-Up.
- We will still be implementing a staggered start to decrease the capacity at SAG & nutrition stops but will condense start times to a more traditional start.
What Safety Precautions will you be taking in 2022?
The safety of our riders is our top priority. We will keep you updated regarding any COVID-19 guidelines and how they will impact the 2022 event. Currently we will have the following policies in place:
- We will continue to have staggered start times for all riders.
- Water stops will have additional taps & utilize foot pedals for refilling water bottles.
If something happens this year, how will my registration be handled?
Similar to 2020, in the event of being unable to hold the in–person PNC Tour de Lou, all registered riders will be given the option to defer or ride virtually.
Where is the Start and Finish Line?
The 2022 PNC Tour de Lou will start and end at in the corner lot at 301 East Witherspoon St and the Corner of Floyd Street. This will be again be a looped course. Riders will bike through the parks and neighborhoods of Louisville, on an open course with safety support.
The complete routes will be released soon, along with GPS Files for each Route.
What time does the Finish Line close?
The Finish Line will close at 2:00 PM. Riders must maintain a 8-13 mph or faster pace to complete the ride.
Where can I pick up my ride packet and swag?
Packet Pickup will be offered on two days – Monday, April 11 and Tuesday, April 12. See details above!
What do I get as part of my Registration in the Tour de Lou?
Riders will receive:
- The Official PNC Tour de Lou shirt (for the 20 & 35 mile routes, and the Family Ride) or a Tech Shirt (for the Metric Century ride). Both the registered child rider & one chaperone will receive the Official PNC Tour de Lou ride shirt for the Family Ride.
- An Official PNC Tour de Lou Swag Bag
- Course support including Rest Stops with water, snacks, bathrooms, and Scheller’s Support & Gear (SAG) Vehicles.
- Access to GPS Route files for each distance, so riders can follow along on a Garmin, smart phone, or other GPS Device.
Will there be places to get water, nutrition and take bathroom breaks along the In-Person course?
Yes! We will have Rest Stops throughout each of the route distances, where riders will be able to refuel with single-serve water and single-serve snacks. Some Rest Stops will also include Porta-Johns for bathroom breaks. Details about where they are located will be included in the final map of the Ride Routes.
Am I required to wear a helmet to participate in the Tour de Lou?
To keep everyone safe, we require that every participant wear a helmet that conforms to CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission) standards. Failure to adhere to this requirement may result in removal from the course.
How do I purchase a Tour de Lou ride jersey?
Jerseys can be purchased during online registration and will be picked up during Rider Packet Pick-Up.
You can download GPS Files and Turn-By-Turn instructions for free using Ride With GPS!
How To Download & Use GPS Routes:
- Open the Ketucky Derby Festival Route Library page by Clicking HERE.
- Click on the Route Name (highlighted in orange) for the GPS route you need.
- Click the orange Send To Device button in the lefthand side menu to your phone or other device.
- Once you’ve selected your device choice, the pop-up menu will prompt you to create a FREE account and download the Free app to your device.
- The set of pop-up menus will guide you through the process, including texting you a direct link to download the app.
Ride With GPS is compatible with iOS, Android, Garmen, Wahoo and more.